Tuesday 28 July 2009

Musselburgh 10K and Nairn's Hill Race

A quick update of the weekend's races. Saturday started off with the Musselburgh 10km. I headed down there with fellow EYW Gareth, and a handful of other CAACers. Sunny morning, perfect conditions for a run. The course went out along the coast, with beautiful views back along to Edinburgh and ahead to Berwick Law. I head out trying to run each kilometre in 4:15 to try and get a sub 43min, but it wasn't to be. Final time of 43min45sec.

Not much time for the legs to recover before the Nairn's Hill Race on Sunday. This hill race was set up as part of The Gathering http://www.clangathering.org/ ; the world's largest clan meeting and Highland Games. The course involved running 2 laps of a quite challenging course around Holyrood Park. This was my first taste of hill running, and although as I was running round I swore I would not be making a habit of hill racing, on reflection I actually quite enjoyed it! I learnt that running down steep sections of downhill is actually much harder work than going up hill, and my calf muscles are still making me aware of that fact 2 days later.

The weekend of races has been followed by 2 days of rest ready for the Tour of Fife (5 races in 5 days) which start tomorrow night. Almost as glam as the Tour de France, but not quite. Watch this space for full write up later on in the week.

No comments: