Sunday 14 August 2011

Caerketton Hill Race

Last Wednesday was Dean's birthday, and he decided he's like to do the Caerketton Hill Race in the Pentlands, followed by a few drinks in The Steading. I thought I'd step out of my comfort zone and join Dean and the others for this hill race. It may only be a 1.5 mile race, but it starts at Hillend ski slope and heads straight up to the summit of Caerketton and back down again with 800ft of ascent. I headed off at a steady jog, but soon broke into a fast hike up the hill. I was about two-thirds back in the field and was pleased to reach the summit. The conditions were pretty rough at the top, strong wind, rain and not much of a view. Was it really August? There was a nice flat section whee I managed to pick off a few people. Then it arrived: the descent! Most will know of my tendency to sprain / break ankles and so I was making a steady descent down. I was overtaken by many a runner sliding down on their backsides at great speeds! With my fellow CAACers all safely back down, I finally crossed the line in 22:49 in 73rd place (out of 77!). Both ankles intact and not last - success! Now time for the pub!

No comments: