Saturday 2 May 2009

Balmoral weekend

Last weekend I travelled up to Balmoral with fellow Corstorphine AAC members to take part in the Tartan Balmoral 10k. The race is mainly offroad and has an infamous hill a few kilometres in. It was a very popular event (over 1000 entries in the 10k) and the sun was shining.
I started alongside fellow CAAC runners (some even sporting kilts). The first few km's were along flat road, but the hill soon approaches with a friendly sign informing us 'Beware of Hill Ahead'. It was indeed a hill - I was glad to hear the bagpipers in the distance marking the runners' arrival at the top. The plus side of running up a hill of course is the downhill which follows, but I think my legs were already shot and I decided to cruise down and enjoy the scenery as much as possible.
I finished in a time of 48min11, so not my fastest time by any means, but pleased nonetheless and even happier with the nice t-shirt and chunky medal I was presented with on crossing the line. There were some really good club performances, with Keith winning the event, Grant first vet, and a few PBs!!The evening was spent celebrating the various victories in the pub. The next day involved an epic day of hill walking! 21 miles in total - 2 Munros (Ben Mheadhoinm 1182m and Beinn a' Chaorainn, 1083m), bringing my total to 34 - I'm on course for 50 by August.
A really great weekend!! Next weekend....rest!

No comments: