Friday 9 October 2009

Berlin, Glasgow, Stirling....and Inverness

Well it's been far too long since I last updated my blog, and since the last entry I've had various races, mostly 10k's and my times have been steadily improving.

First one was in Berlin. Myself and Jamie, Katherine and CP headed to Germany to watch the World Athletics Champs. Totally inspiring, but weather was too hot for me for any kind of fast time. Finished in around 45 mins, but enjoyed the beautiful course and especially the atmosphere of finishing under the Brandenburg Gate!

Glasgow half was slightly less scenic (only just!). However, the cool weather and slight rain made for pleasant conditions. Lots of CAACers took part making it an enjoyable day out! 1hr38.20. A PB so very pleased.

Then Stirling 10k I decided would be my best chance of beating my 10k PB which had stood for over a year. A flat course and conditions were perfect. I set off way too fast though and paid for it in the middle section, but I managed to hang on for that elusive sub 43 minute! Ran 42:50.

After spending over a year trying to get a sub 43 minute 10k, I then managed a sub 42 in 2 weeks! The Inverness 10k was a largely downhill or flat course, so getting some quick early kilometres was easier. The last few km's were into a bit of a headwind, but otherwise more perfect running conditions and I finished in 41:48.

I think that will be it from me for the road running season this year now. Next comes a winter of hills, mud and cross countries. First one will be the East District XC league in Stirling. Someone told me XC's were good for you!! I hope they're right!

No comments: