Sunday 1 November 2009

Stirling XC, Scottish Relay Champs and Allan Scally Relays

As usual, it's been a few weeks since I last updated my blog, so I've done a few races now. The cross country season kicked off with the East District XC League. A beautiful day and a beautiful course around Stirling University. We had the Wallace Monument peering down at us from one direction and the Ochil Hills on the other. They were a welcome distraction from the hills and rough terrain of the race. It was a shock to the system after a season of road running. Finished 33rd in 26min11s. A good day for CAAC ladies team, think we were 5th overall.


The following weekend was the Scottish National XC relay champs in Cumbernauld. I was in one of two CAAC ladies teams. I went off first leg, handed over to Megan, with Susan bringing us home. We came 29th in a total time of 56min 51. A tough course! Somehow, I'd managed to forget from last year how many times we have to run down the hill and then back up it! Less muddy that last year though!



We got a rest from off-road this weekend with the Allan Scally Relays near Glasgow. These relays are quite historic in Scottish road running, the first one having been held in 1928. 4x4.8 miles for the men and 3 times round for the women. For the first time in all those years, the course was on a different route this year. It was a twisty route, and although the first mile was all downhill, that meant the inevitable gradual uphill for the remainding 3.8 miles. It was history in the making for CAAC ladies, as we had the first ever ladies team taking part in the event. We were made up of myself on first leg, Susan second and Corrie third. We finished in 8th position overall, so very pleased with that, and only 4 seconds difference between our 3 times, amazing!

Next challenge coming up is likely to involve HEIGHTS!!!! Watch this space..... (I think I may need my head examining!)

No comments: