Sunday 16 January 2011

East District XC Champs, Livingston


I woke up on Saturday morning to the sound of rain and wind battering my bedroom window. Hmm, a usual XC weather day then. The race wasn't till early afternoon, so had the morning to relax and prepare for the impending mudfest!! The CAAC female contingent headed to Livingston in Corrie's mini. We actually managed to find the place by luck!

After a bit of a warm up, we got into vest and shorts and lined up at the start of the Senior Women's race. The first section was very muddy and against a strong head wind, and there were some icy bits to contend with too. However, once into the woods, it was more like trail running and I felt I got a good rhythmn going. The ups and downs felt good and I was managing to pick off a few on the uphills, and trying my best to maintain it on the downhill sections. There was some great support from the CAAC men all the way round the course which really helped in the tough conditions.

I felt strong over the second lap (though wouldn't have wanted to have done a third!). I managed to get one last HBT runner in the final metres to finish in 30th position. Gillian and Corrie both had great runs too, but unfortunately missing a 4th runner we couldn't figure in the team positions. Hopefully we can get a full squad out for the Nationals next month.

No comments: