Tuesday 3 May 2011

Balmoral 10k 2011

This was the third year I headed up to Balmoral with fellow CAACers to do the Balmoral 10k. and this time Neil came along too. It would be the start of a week's long holiday in Scotland. After loading up the car with all our gear in the morning, we headed off to Braemar. The CAACers stayed in the bunkhouse, but Neil and I stayed in a B&B just up the road which turned out to be a little gem of a place, which we'll certainly be returning too!

The race seemed busier than previous years, I think it's become more and more popular. The gun went and we all piled across the start line. The first few kilometres are merely a formality, as you wait in anticipation for the start of 'the hill'. Before I knew it, it was upon us, and I started the long climb to the top, listening out for the piper at the top. This was definitely the best I'd ever felt on the hill, though I was still pleased to get to the top knowing the hard work was done and the rest was mostly downhill. I had a bit of a battle with a girl from Aberdeen, unfortunately what I made up on the uphills, she always cruised passed me on the downhills, so she just got me at the end. Pleased with my position of 7th woman, and time of 42:33, my quickest on this course to date. Neil had not done as much training as he would have liked for this race, but nonetheless had a really good run, coming in at 45:59. There were great CAAC performances all round, Grant won first vet and Dean dipped under 40 minutes. Some of the CAACers ran back to Braemar, while the rest of us took the car or cycled, before getting ready for our night in the Fife Arms. Another great 10k in Balmoral.

No comments: